Sunday, May 18, 2008

I love Z!

Z and his buddy in Knoxville.
Wow what big muscles you have!
Which one is Superman?
B and her big brother Z. (yes those are snowmen pillow cases -- I can't find any others yet)
Z is so special. He is a great kid that is smart, kind-hearted, and fun to be around. He is a Sunbeam this year in church. On May 3rd he had his first primary activity here in NC. Jer and I were kind-of excited to go shopping while he was having fun at church, but Z wouldn't let us leave. The activity was about exercise and keeping fit. He got to practice karate. He was nervous because he couldn't do it right. As I have taught him to do things such as brush his teeth, wash his hands or clean up his room, I have been very particular. I thought that I was just helping him do things well, but I think that I have turned him into a worrier and someone who only wants to do things if he does them perfectly. He ended up having a great time. The next day at church he had volunteered to do the scripture in Primary. I was very proud of him. He was not shy, he spoke loudly and he said it very well. His primary teachers say he is great and one of his teachers even said that he was "a trip". He has adjusted here quite well. He has always played well by himself. He is often a superhero and he loves to play with his guys (Star Wars, Spiderman, Batman, Power Rangers, and Superman). We have a really nice park nearby and he always wants to play there. One night during his prayer, he asked that his bestest friend back in Utah would find another bestest friend. He then asked that he himself would find another bestest friend. He had such wonderful buddies -- he misses them and talks about them often. I hope that he can find some good friends soon. He told my mom that he had found a friend, but that he didn't know her name. When I asked him if it was a girl in his primary class he said no. He told me that it was the lady at the store. A week earlier, when we went to sign up for our Internet service at Best Buy, he talked a lot with the sales lady. When she asked if he had any friends yet, he told her no. She said that she was his friend -- how cute that he remembered her. He sure charms people and has no problem talking with anyone that will listen. We signed Z up for preschool last Tuesday. They have full day kindergarten here and so most of the kids do half day preschool -- everyday. Also most of the preschools are in churches, so Z is going to be in the Baptist preschool quite close to our house. The lady who showed us around the preschool told us that he will be taught using Christian values and he will learn Bible stories. I think he will really enjoy it! The biggest negative is the price. It is almost three times what preschool is in Utah -- ouch! We are looking into swimming lessons and soccer for him this summer. What a big kid he has become and also a great big brother -- I Love You Z!
A few side notes:
The lady who showed us around the preschool asked us if we had a "church home". She was inviting us to the Baptist church if we didn't have a church we attended yet. On the paperwork, we even had to put what church we did attend and who our "pastor" was. There are lots of churches here and many of them are really big. According to a lady in the Relief Society Presidency whose husband works with Jer, it won't be the last time we'll be asked if we already have a "church home". I wish that I was so quick to invite people to go with me on Sundays.
I also had a sad realization when we were filling out our paperwork. We had to list our emergency contacts -- we don't have any :( I sure miss my family and friends!

4 comments:

MarKay said...

I had the same problem finding a preschool for Dawson. It's so expensive! I ended up just doing a group preschool with some girls from the ward. I also had the same experience with having no one to put as an emergency contact. It actually made me tear up! So silly.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J said...

I put this comment back on with Z's name erased -- love you Sherri!
good grief- the story about Z praying for his bestest friend made me cry... what a sweet boy! Love you guys and miss you tons! (this is Sister Schaefermeyer- Sherri Marshall that is... man that's confusing for anyone that doesn't know me)

Anonymous said...

Oh!!! Like Sherri this story made me sad! Even though we aren't there please let Z know that we love him and we are still his friends! :)