Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tornadoes

On Thursday, May 8th we went out shopping. When we came home I tried to watch the "Survivor" episode that I had recorded, but "Survivor" had not aired -- instead it had been the news. We were having some terrible storms and they had tornado watches out for parts of NC. Z thought they said that torpedoes were coming. Needless to say I turned off the T.V. until he went to bed. I ended up sitting in front of the T.V. until around 1:00 a.m. waiting to see if we needed to seek shelter in the interior bathroom of our townhouse. The weather people constantly showed the radar and in what direction the tornadoes were moving. It is very dangerous when they come at night and with many places surrounded by trees most people can't see them coming. The news went on the entire evening and part of the early morning. Two tornadoes touched down -- one of them not more than 20 miles away from us. I was nervous and scared. When we moved here Jer bought an alarm clock that would issue warnings from the National Weather Service -- the alarm kept going off most of the night and it is loud. The next day they confirmed that the one near us had been an EF2, meaning the funnel was packing winds between 111 and 135 mph. One man was killed when his truck flipped over with him inside. The weather people did say that this was pretty out of the ordinary. Let's pray that they are right.

5 comments:

MarKay said...

That same storm also came through here, although I didn't hear of any touchdowns near us. That's scary! We've only been here for 7 months and already there's probably been about 5 tornado warnings. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures. B came up on my screen saver at work and I had a couple of the ladies I work with oogling (if that's a word) over her. It looks like you are catching up, but what happened to the videos?

Tevie

heidivee said...

Man, that reminds me of living in Louisiana. We had a few tornados touch down WAY to close to our house there. I know how you feel. We would sit up all night scared to death. You guys will be fine there. I hope you are doing great. I can't imagine how hard it is in the beginning. We love and miss you guys, and hope you find great friends there!! Love your blog, by the way!!

alli may said...

so glad you're ok. i hope things are going well.. we miss you.

Stephanie said...

glad to see you updated!! love keeping up with you. However, sooo scary with the Tornado. Don't worry though, you'll be fine and I'm sure new friends are soon to come since you guys are such great friends yourselves! Take care and we miss seeing you.