Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Random Things about NC

Here are a few things we have noticed so far while living here in NC --
*No sidewalks -- how am I supposed to push a stroller to the park that is just around the corner, but on a busy street?
*It is really, really dark here at night.
*The freeways are so green and pretty, but you can't see anything but trees.
*Lots of road kill and I gasp every time -- Jer says that I better get used to it, but people do stop for turtles and get out of their cars to help them cross the road.
*Churches on every corner -- just not LDS ones.
*Everyone waves to you as you drive down the road and many people will come up and talk to you while in the store or in line for something.
*We have a baby and mommy bunny that roam around our neighborhood. The baby keeps coming into our little fenced off area, because all of the other people have dogs.
*There are lots of birds -- my favorites are the pretty blue and reds ones.
*The sky is not as blue here.
*It is easy to get lost without the mountains.
*Mold grows faster and easier here and nothing dries :(
*Everything grows so well here (our little garden is amazing!), except grass and it is awful.
*In our town newspaper they not only list the births and weddings, but also all of the people who got divorces.
*If you commit a crime and your story makes it in the newspaper, they tell everyone what road you live on.
*Most stores close really early.
*Lots of small mom and pop Italian restaurants, but no Greek food (Jer really likes Gyros).
*It rains really hard here and it is not fun to drive through it!
*Our family and friends do not live close by and we miss them so much!! :)

Most cities have these towers with their name on it. We noticed this a lot in the Midwest as well.
 

It is hard to describe how pretty and green everything is even the freeways.
 

Here is our wild baby bunny. Z likes to leave him carrots and lettuce.
 

This is a flower that grows on a big tree that I don't know the name of :)
This is Jer's road that leads to his work -- again how pretty and green!
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

heidivee said...

Hi guys!! All of these things on this checklist fit right in where I grew up. Even the one about people stopping to help turtles across the road!! We miss you guys, too. And I am almost positive that flower is a Magnolia. Aren't they gorgeous. I love the leaves too...so shiny and green. And thick. Gorgeous.

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

Reading your list takes me back to my mission in Louisiana. And I would also have to agree with Heidivee that yes that flower/tree is a Magnolia. We sure do miss you guys.

Heather Shepherd said...

I know how Jer feels about Gyros. We're in MO this week in a little town and when it comes time to go out to dinner I think of the Mexican & Greek food I would like to be having and don't know where to find here. Looks like it's another steak night for the Shepherds.